Buildings from before the 18th century
In an inventory from 1932, there are a number of old houses and other buildings listed, some of them dating back to the 16th century or earlier. Most were from the 17th century, of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled or slate-covered roofs. These buildings had exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams, and included:
- A barn 200 yards NNW of the church, was of L-shaped plan and partly weather-boarded. It incorporated earlier timbers and was Grade II listed in 1987. It is now incorporated into contemporary homes.
- A barn at Pigeon-house Farm, 270 yards NW of the church had five bays, single storey, with weather-boarding. (Now incorporated into contemporary homes.)
- At Breinton Court, 350 yards WNW of the church, there are barns with exposed timber frames that have been converted to contemporary homes each side of the drive to the house.
Breinton Manor has a long history, and cottages close by were Grade II listed in 1987. They may be earlier than 17th century, but with 20th century alterations.
Upper Hill Farm is located close to the former drove road, now an E-W bridleway. It is a two-storey farmhouse, originally 17th century or earlier, with attached barn and threshing barn. Many features, such as the brick-nogged timber frame and the brick chimney stacks are still apparent today. Within the house a wealth of timber frame details are visible. The barn attached to the house contained a cider mill in the early 20th century and the property was Grade II listed in 2009. A painting around 1910 by Brian Hatton is labelled “The Farm Warham” in error.
On the top of the steep slope down to the River Wye within Warham and Lower Breinton are some fine houses, built or re-built pre-1900 with landscaped park gardens, e.g. Warham House, Breinton House, Breinton Court and Wye Cliff House. Warham House and Breinton Court are shown on Taylor’s 1786 County map.
Breinton House close to the River Wye at Breinton Springs was built in the late 18th century or early 19th century, with later additions and alterations. It was Grade II listed in 1987.
Warham House was rebuilt in 1854 with striking late gothic gables, probably by Edward Pugin, but parts date back to the 16th or 17th century. The N. wing is of 16th century or earlier date and probably formed part of a larger house, of which the lower S. wing possibly represents the original one-storeyed Hall
Its existing features, however, indicate a 17th century early Georgian date, and so do those of the addition on the W. side. The original wing has exposed and close-set timber-framing. The stone chimney-stack has two 17th-century brick shafts. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams. Full details of the history have been compiled and reported by the historian David Whitehead.
Homes in Breinton Common (click on titles to read accounts)
Memories of Wadworth Cottage, from Richard and Jenny Bough, compiled by Bronwen Wild
Memories of Bay Tree Cottage, from Vera and John Hull, compiled by Bronwen Wild
Memories of Sunnyside, from Jane Hill, compiled by Bronwen Wild
(Section updated by Nichola Geeson, June 2017)